- Whistleblower and ousted vaccine expert Rick Bright, who oversaw the US Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, warned Congress that the Trump Administration botched pandemic preparedness in the early days, and the US could face its "darkest winter in modern history" if a more coordinated national response is not developed, according to a report in the Washington Post.
- The CDC has issued a COVID-19 community mitigation guidance to assist schools, houses of worship, businesses, mass transit, and others in planning for safe reopening.
- The guidance stipulates that decisions should be based on local disease transmission data, demographics, and public/health care system capacity.
- Following increasing reports of Kawasaki-like symptoms in children with COVID-19, the CDC released a national health alert for clinicians.
- The case definition for “multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children" (called MIS-C) includes: fever >38.0°C for ≥24 hours, laboratory evidence of inflammation, and evidence of clinically severe illness requiring hospitalization with multisystem (>2) organ involvement, and no alternative plausible diagnosis.
- Abbott’s ID NOW point-of-care test for COVID-19 is being scrutinized for false negatives, according to a press release issued by the FDA, including an investigation into factors such as swab or viral transport media type.
- The agency has also asked the company to conduct postmarketing studies that include ≥150 patients.