The World Health Organization’s (WHO) Director General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has warned that the next week will be critical in ensuring authorities can "turn the tide" on the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
Earlier this week Dr Tedros updated the UN Security Council and the 68th session of the WHO’s Regional Committee for Africa on the Ebola outbreak response in the DRC. Latest data from the WHO show that as of August 26, a total of 111 confirmed and probable EVD cases had been reported, including 75 deaths. A total of 15 healthcare workers have been affected, of which 14 are confirmed and one has died.
Describing the current situation on Twitter, Dr Tedros said the next seven to 10 days would be a “pivotal period”. “We need to control the outbreak before it spreads to areas we cannot reach,” he said.
Meanwhile, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies says its teams are experiencing “fear and anger” in some communities when they come to bury the deceased in accordance with safe and dignified burial protocols. It said community resistance together with conflict and increasing Ebola cases is complicating the response to the outbreak.