The World Health Organization (WHO) has confirmed that over 100 confirmed and probable cases of Ebola have been reported in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) since the beginning of August, with the latest outbreak evolving rapidly in the past week.
In its latest situation report, the WHO says 45 new confirmed Ebola virus disease (EVD) cases and 18 new deaths had been reported since its previous weekly report.
As of August 20, a total of 102 cases had been reported including 75 confirmed cases and 27 probable cases. There were 59 deaths among 33 confirmed and 27 probable cases. Thirteen cases had been reported among health workers, of which 12 are confirmed and one has died.
Meanwhile, 10 case-patients have recovered from the disease and have been discharged and re-integrated into their communities since the onset of the outbreak.
The WHO said it is likely that more new cases and deaths will occur in the coming days and weeks as people who were earlier exposed to infections will develop illness. “This stage in the evolution of the outbreak is also the defining moment in the efforts to contain the outbreak, in terms of averting further exposures to infections,” it added.