Ebola: current trends are positive, but this could change, warns WHO Chief


  • Mary Corcoran
  • Univadis Medical News
El acceso al contenido completo es sólo para profesionales sanitarios registrados. El acceso al contenido completo es sólo para profesionales sanitarios registrados.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has reiterated its commitment to the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and despite recent security incidents, it says current trends are positive. 

WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus completed a three-day mission in the DRC last week and highlighted how the number of new cases of Ebola are reducing. “We have prevented Ebola from spreading in DRC or across international borders. Current trends are positive. There are half as many new cases per week now than there were in January, though this could change any time,” he said. 

Dr Tedros visited an Ebola treatment centre in Butembo that was attacked by armed groups on March 9 and a week previously. He said the attacks were “not attacks by the community, they are attacks on the community” and that security remains the number one concern in the DRC. 

The visit comes as figures show that the number of cases in the outbreak in the DRC is nearing 1,000. As of March 12, a total of 923 cases (858 confirmed and 65 probable) had been reported. Seventy-four cases have been reported among health workers, with 26 deaths.