- According to the latest figures from the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Tracker, as of this writing, the US COVID-19 case number has topped 100,000, surpassing case counts in either China or Italy.
- New York state is the US epicenter of the disease.
- With more than 500 deaths and ~45,000 confirmed cases across New York as of this writing, worst-case scenario preparations are well underway.
- New York City has purchased 45 refrigerated truck trailers in case morgues and hospitals become overwhelmed.
- The Liaison Committee on Medical Education has waived restrictions to facilitate early graduation for qualified med school seniors.
- To provide more frontline health care workers for the burgeoning COVID-19 crisis, New York University is among the first academic institutions to take advantage .
- A New England Journal of Medicine editorial echoes what US frontline health care workers have reported all week: the US supply of ventilators and other personal protective equipment (PPE) is grossly understocked.
- Entrepreneurial clinicians are soliciting PPE on social media platforms like Twitter .
- The American College of Physicians is urging Congressional funding for PPE, as well as telemedicine visit support and expansion of insurance coverage and support.
- US researchers are developing a rapid COVID-19 test that identifies SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in people who are positive for the virus but exhibit no or mild symptoms.